Data from the Ground Up: Scaling up community-led data collection, management and analysis
Time & Location
About the Event
Please Note: Registration for this event closes at 12:00hrs (noon) +8GMT 5th September 2020.
Having reliable population size estimates and behavioral data on key populations, women and girls is increasingly important in making the case for funding and services. How can communities gather their own data, preserve anonymity for those at risk, and retain control of the data, while also using it to ensure services are funded to reach those most in need?
This session will share participatory action research approaches to population size estimation methods, drawing on experience by communities and civil society in the Eastern Caribbean, and a study by an anthropologist who documented the process. The session will also explore advantages and concerns around new digital technologies. Participants will be encouraged to share experiences for future exchanges.
- 5 minutes - HIV2020 Announcements
- 5 minutes - Welcome and introductions
- 15 minutes - Overview to population size estimation methodologies - Keith Sabin, UNAIDS
- 15 minutes - New digital technologies, risks and opportunities - Meg Davis, Global Health Centre Graduate Institute
- 15 minutes - Participatory action research methods in population size estimation studies, CVC experience - John Waters, CVC
- 40 minutes - Facilitated roundtable discussion with Hayden Barthelmy (GRENCHAP, Grenada), Bennet Charles (United and Strong, St Lucia) and Lupita Raposo (Trans Este Podemos Avanzar, Dominican Republic) about the challenges and solutions they developed in DR, Grenada and St Lucia - John Waters, moderator
- 20 minutes - Q&A with audience
- 5 minutes - Wrap up and closing
- Meg Davis, Global Health Centre, Graduate Institute, Switzerland https://graduateinstitute.ch/globalhealth
- Keith Sabin, UNAIDS http://kpatlas.unaids.org
- John Waters, CVC, Dom Rep https://www.cvccoalition.org/
- Hayden Barthelmy, GrenCHAP, Grenada https://www.grenchap.org
- Lupita Raposo, Dom Rep
- Bennet Charles, United and Strong, St. Lucia